By empowering professionals with the capabilities required to know and act on the highest professional standards, ethics education makes up a crucial element in contemporary professional integrity systems.
Author(s): Hugh Breakey and Charles Sampford
Professional ethics and standards are a defining feature of contemporary professions. Educating, empowering and inculcating ethical professionals is a well-established practice across most professions and can take place at several stages in a professional’s development. This title:
- Explains the purposes of professional ethics education;
- Explores the questions of when ethics education should occur and who should provide it;
- Outlines the main content typically covered in professional ethics education;
- Considers the contested role of moral philosophy in professional ethics education;
- Discusses pedagogical best practice for ethics education; and
- Reflects on the main critiques of professional ethics education.